Saturday, March 31, 2012

My Start in Gaming

It all started back in 2007 when I joined this group. I had just found the website meetup.com and saw the ROJ gaming group. I had always wanted to try to play D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) so I signed up for the monthly meet up game. The DM (Dungeon Master) James met with me before the game and helped me to create my first character, a half elf named Laila. She was a bratty little character but, oh so fun to play!

Then it came time to go to my first meet up game. Oh, I was so intimidated and nervous. It was at War Dogs (boy do I miss that place) There were a ton people there, all experienced gamers. I had no idea if I was going to make a fool of myself or mess up the game. However, I soon realized that my fellow gamers were very nice and helpful.

It did not take long before got into the game and was having a blast. Then, it happened, I was killed. Laila was squished by a dragon. I was so sad, because the game was over for me. But, my fellow gamers and the DM decided to "save" my character so I could continue to play. That is one of the things I love about rpg's unlike in real life, games provide second chances. Don't believe me, play World of Warcraft, see how many chances you get to be resurrected. :-)

After that first game, I began to go to more meetups. Play in games and eventually developed a group of friends who I would game with regularly.  I have always been kind of shy, a worrier, high stressed etc. Gaming provided an outlet for me. It would give me a chance to socialize and get out of my own head for awhile.

For the last couple of years life has pulled me away from gaming, but all for good things. I met my amazing husband, graduated college and started working in the good ole corporate world! I still game, mostly World of Warcraft online when I am not too tired. But, I have not run or played in a D&D game for ages!

Then last summer, the organizer for ROJ was stepping down, understandably so. He sent me an e-mail, offering me along with a couple of others a chance to take over the group. When I saw no one else stepping up, I decided to take over the group, afterall it had done so much for me and others that I know. So as you can see, gaming is still a big part of my life.

-DM



(an aside) I know I am not the best organizer. But, to be honest being an organizer is not easy. Just know that I am doing my best to keep this group going and make it even better! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment